The OpenNET Project

Search (keywords):  SOFT ARTICLES TIPS & TRICKS SECURITY
LINKS NEWS MAN DOCUMENTATION

Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 22:01:41 -0500 (EST)
From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts@clark.net>
To: best-of-security@cyber.com.au
Subject: BoS: Important Notice to EWS Users: Bug Found (fwd)

>>From Excite, the Web search-engine folks.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 18:24:03 -0800 (PST)
From: ewsfdbk@excite.com
To: proberts@clark.net
Subject: Important Notice to EWS Users: Bug Found

Security bug found

Excite announced today that its free and unsupported software, Excite for Web
Servers v1.1 for all platforms (EWS), released in Q'3 of 1996, contains a bug
that could potentially compromise the webserver on which it is installed. This
bug in no way affects Excite.com, anyone Visiting or Searching Excite.com,
any search boxes (for example, those on Netscape or Microsoft sites) that
point to Excite.com, downloadable chat clients, Excite Direct, Excite Pal, or
sites that the Excite spider indexes.

This bug appears to be contained only in the free, unsupported version 1.1 of
Excite for Webservers (EWS). Excite appreciates its users involvement and
notification as to the existence of this bug.

As of 1/14/98, Excite has issued to industry watchdog CERT*
(http://www.cert.org) patches for immediate distribution to all systems
administrators via a CERT vendor-initiated bulletin. The CERT Coordination
Center charter is to work with the Internet Community in detecting and
resolving computer security incidents as well as taking steps to prevent future
incidents.

We have rigorously tested these patches in house. While we are awaiting
official verification from CERT, we are making the patches available to the
EWS user base. For more detailed information on the bug or to access the
patches, go to the patches page at http://www.excite.com/navigate/patches.html.

--------- end of forwarded text -----------------------------------

Paul
Paul D. Robertson      "My statements in this message are personal opinions
proberts@clark.net      which may have no basis whatsoever in fact."
                                                                     PSB#9280

Партнёры:
PostgresPro